This is custom heading element
The mission of Sunshine Gospel Ministries (SGM) is to seek the renewal of the city through ministries of discipleship, mercy and justice. Our vision is to empower youth and families to thrive and lead prosperous, healthy lives through connectedness, opportunity, and economic sustainability. Our culture is open, warm, inviting and family oriented. We are a ministry that seeks individuals who have a passion for the Gospel, and our youth and families in the Woodlawn community.
Through FCI, we envision a community that inspires youth and residents to live with pride and to live in harmony with purpose with one another. Where the sounds of gunshots have been replaced by the sounds of organizing, collaboration, laughter, and learning.
The Elementary School Program Associate Director will provide pivotal leadership as a mentor to elementary male youth as well as influence programming needs to positively impact their success as they navigate life. This role will contribute to the aspects of team dynamics including cultural relevance, spiritual guidance, and professional development to the program and staff. This position will work closely with the Program Director to strengthen and sustain elementary programming at Sunshine Gospel Ministries successfully and collaboratively.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Full engagement with Daily Programming
- Weekly devotionals and small group mentoring with male students.
- Co-facilitate Activity Time with Program Director for all students along with program assistants.
- Plan age-appropriate, competitive activities for each group to compete against one another.
- Collaborate with Program Director on model programing and content for boys & girls time.
- Assist Program Director with planning department programs.
- Collaborate with Program Director and implement discipline model for student code of conduct.
- Work one-on-one with students who are having a difficult time participating in programming.
- Be aware of surroundings to proactively avert potential problems.
- Co-facilitate staff devotionals with Program Director.
- Collaborate with the Program Director to create trainings as needed to foster growth where desired.
- Be available to provide staff members & volunteers a break from class if emergencies arise.
- Work with Program Director to observe and evaluate staff on a monthly basis with the goal of providing feedback and suggestions for improvement.
- Evaluate program as a whole monthly with feedback from staff and make necessary improvements.
- Communicate with parents prior to and throughout the school year.
- Address student issues and parent concerns.
- Initiate positive conversations with parents – all parents should be called or talked to in person at least once over the course of the semester.
- Plan a parent appreciation event.
- Coordinate attendance, camp planning and paperwork with Youth Outreach Coordinator.
- Manage Sunshine Bucks (student award system) regularly.
- Assist with emailing information for programming to the department.
- Complete Incident Reports as necessary.
Performs other related duties and responsibilities as required or assigned with a heart of service.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Passion for the mission and vision of Sunshine Gospel Ministries.
• Spiritually grounded with a personal relationship with God and an active member of a church.
• Outgoing, with the ability to lead youth and peers.
• Versatile and creative with the willingness to create, expand, and find tools needed to encourage, develop, and empower the team.
• Passion and vision for the success of youth.
• Willingness to collaborate on ideas, content creation, and decision making.
• Professional, respectful of time and commitments, follows through on tasks.
• Proven management and leadership skills.
• Willingness to be communicative and foster authentic rapport with youth and our team.
• Proven and natural command with expression of self, knowledge of culture, love and respect for self including self care and wellness.
• Knowledge and experience with building relationships with students, stakeholders, and parents.
• Ability to discipline students while still nurturing and reinforcing rules and respect for all.
• Experience working with students in different capacities.
• Ability to encourage students to see beyond their circumstances.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Advocate for education and steer students beyond the age of technology.
• Caring, concerned, and knowledgeable about the Woodlawn community, the Southside of Chicago, and the progression of African American people.
Education Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Christian Education, Children’s Ministry, or a related field is preferred.
- Two consecutive years of hands-on youth work experience with middle school students including but not limited to developing relationships with students, families, schools and community resources and leading groups of students in academic, extra-curricular and spiritually enriching activities is preferred.
- Proven passion for the educational, social and emotional well-being, spiritual development and cultural enrichment of youth
- Able to use discretion and judgment when dealing with confidential information.
- Reliable and predictable attendance is required.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to remain in a stationary position for at least 50% of the time.
- The employee in this role needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- The general level of physical activity would be defined as sedentary.
- The employee is regularly required to operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a telephone, copy machine and printer.
- Some movements of the hands, arms, and wrists may involve repetitive motions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include the ability to detect, determine, perceive, identify, recognize, judge, observe, inspect, estimate and assess various activities and the employee’s surroundings.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to comprehend and use basic language, either written or spoken, to communicate information and ideas, both simple and complex and exchange information, both simple and complex.
- The employee is also required to use logic to define problems, collect information, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, interpret information and deal with abstract variables for unique or unfamiliar situations; also requires use of problem solving skills including formulating and applying appropriate course of action for routine or familiar situations.
- The employee may be required to perform numerical operations including basic counting, adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing or more complex quantitative calculations.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is inside a central heat and air-conditioned office building and/or outdoors and thus will be exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but at times, can be high.
This is a full-time; non-exempt position. The salary range starts at $34,000